You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Fiver years since Carterton balloon crash

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 6/01/2017
On January 4, 2016, four years on, a large limestone rock featuring an engraved plaque, along with seating was unveiled near the crash site on Somerset Rd. © AAP Image On January 4, 2016, four years on, a large limestone rock featuring an engraved plaque, along with seating was unveiled near the crash site on Somerset Rd.

It's been five years since the hot air balloon disaster in Carterton which killed 11 people, but there won't be a memorial service.

Carterton Mayor John Booth said a service won't be happening to mark the tragedy this year, as there was a special plaque unveiling around the same time last year.

On January 4, 2016, four years on, a large limestone rock featuring an engraved plaque, along with seating was unveiled near the crash site on Somerset Rd.

Mayor Booth said the plaque has made such a difference to family and friends of the victims, and has helped removed a pain barrier.

The pilot Lance Hopping, and his 10 passengers, Ann Dean, 65, Desmond Dean, 70, Valerie Bennett, 70, Diana Cox, 63, Howard Cox, 71, Denise Dellabarca, 58, Belinda Harter, 49, Stephen Hopkirk, 50, Johannes "Chrisjan" Jordaan, 21, and Alexis Still, 19 died when the balloon hit power lines.

It became stuck on the power lines, before an electrical arc set fire to the basket. Two of passengers jumped from the basket, but died from injuries.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon