You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Foran eyes Auckland or Sydney next year

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 29/03/2017

Kieran Foran says a decision on his NRL future beyond this year will have to wait, but a deal with the Brisbane Broncos appears unlikely.

Troubled playmaker Foran suggested he will either stay in Auckland with the Warriors in 2018 or return to a Sydney club to be close to his two children.

The Kiwis international distanced himself from reports last month that he is targeting a contract with the Broncos next season.

However, any decision won't be made until he's returned to the field for the first time since May last year.

He hopes that comes this weekend against the Gold Coast Titans.

Foran will then want to experience the weekly grind of playing before turning his attention to his next contract.

"I want to put my best foot forward for a club that has given me an opportunity to turn things around and get my life back on track," he said on Wednesday.

"Once I've done that, I've found my feet again and playing good footy, I'll start to consider where I'd like to be based next year. Whether that be here or back in Sydney.

"I'm not ruling anything out. Obviously my circumstance with two young kids back in Sydney is something me and [Warriors boss] Jim Doyle have spoken about."

Foran spent two days in Sydney with his children following the Warriors' loss to the Dragons on Sunday - a match in which he missed his club debut because of an injury suffered during the warm-ups.

He says time with them is invaluable following a tumultuous period in his life battling a relationship break-up and off-field problems related to drugs and gambling.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon