You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Fury apologises for late cancellation

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 23/04/2017

<span style="font-size:13px;">Englishman Hughie Fury's camp has apologised for the late cancellation of his title shot against New Zealand's Joseph Parker, saying a back injury is behind it.</span> © Peter Cziborra / REUTERS Englishman Hughie Fury's camp has apologised for the late cancellation of his title shot against New Zealand's Joseph Parker, saying a back injury is behind it. English boxer Hughie Fury has apologised for the late cancellation of his Auckland fight with Joseph Parker and says a serious lower back injury meant he couldn't train properly.

Fury's camp is talking of a new date.

Parker's defence of his WBO heavyweight title was meant to be held in less than two weeks, on May 6, but over the weekend it emerged the bout had been cancelled.

In a statement on Monday morning (NZT), Team Fury and Hennessy Sports confirmed Fury had injured his back.

"He has suffered an injury to his lower back which has been a serious issue for the last three weeks that has left him unable to train to his full capacity," it said.

Despite intense physiotherapy physiotherapist on Friday told him to rest for three to four weeks.

"Hughie is devastated by the injury which has temporarily halted his dream of fighting for the world heavyweight title - but the fight will be rescheduled and a new date will be announced shortly.

"Hughie and Team Fury wish to express their sincerest apologies to Joseph Parker, the WBO, the fans and public in New Zealand and to all the boxing fans around the world who had been looking forward to the highly anticipated fight."

It was to be Parker's first title defence since he beat Andy Ruiz Jr in Auckland last December.

Parker's promoters, Duco Events, may look for another opponent.

"The World Boxing Organisation has advised Duco Events to investigate the possibility of Joseph Parker making a voluntary defence of his heavyweight title against an opponent ranked in the top 15 of the world rankings," Duco said in a statement.

The promoters said they are "currently investigating all options".

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon