You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Glendene murder accused to go to trial

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 1/11/2016

<span style="font-size:13px;">A man charged with murder over a fatal stabbing in the west Auckland suburb of Glendene last onth has been named and will go to trial next year.</span> © File. A man charged with murder over a fatal stabbing in the west Auckland suburb of Glendene last onth has been named and will go to trial next year. A man charged with murder over a fatal stabbing in west Auckland's Glendene can now be named.

Ronald Clayton Karipa, 42, died from stab wounds suffered at a house on Hepburn Road on October 15.

Twenty-four-year-old Michael Tristan Ford is accused of killing Mr Karipa and he appeared in the Auckland High Court on Wednesday where Justice Simon Moore set the two-week trial to begin on September 18 next year.

A previous suppression on his name was lifted.

The man's lawyer, Malcolm English, argued his client should not be filmed in court because he had earlier been threatened from the gallery during his first appearance at district court last month.

Mr English said if the accused man's face appeared on nightly news channels, he was at "far more peril from anyone who wishes to do him harm".

While Justice Moore didn't accept that argument, he said filming the man could affect his identification by witnesses in the case and said the issue could be revisited again at a later date.

The arguments came after a group of men had earlier stared the accused down from the Waitakere District Court public gallery on October 17, with one standing up and swearing as his friends held him back.

A second man, Ruarangi Waitai McIntryre, has also been charged with being an accessory to murder after the fact in the same case.

Both men will appear again in court again in February.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon