You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Govt launches Auckland homeless plan

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 23/03/2017

The government and Auckland council have launched a new scheme aimed at easing the city's chronic homelessness.

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff and Social Housing Minister Amy Adams on Thursday launched a new pilot scheme which aims to house 472 homeless Aucklanders and provide wrap-around services for two years.

The Housing First Auckland scheme will get $3.7 million in funding from the government and $1 from the council, and involves organisations such as the Auckland City Mission, Affinity Services and Lifewise.

It will focus on the city centre, along with west and south Auckland - where concentrations of homeless people are highest.

But while it's only being officially kicked off this week, it had already homed eight rough sleepers in central and west Auckland and gotten them support - with 30 more in the wings.

"Homelessness is a growing problem in Auckland and it needs to be tackled as a priority," Mr Goff said.

"The housing first approach has worked in other cities in New Zealand and overseas and that is why we are adopting here."

Ms Adams said the programme was "internationally-renowned, and backed up by strong domestic and international evidence".

"We don't want to see anyone living on the street or in shelters. The drivers behind homelessness are often complicated and difficult, such as mental health issues, alcoholism or family violence, and there isn't a quick fix," she said.

"We need to combat homelessness at its core, by addressing the causes behind it."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon