You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Guerra signs 3-year NRL deal with Knights

NZN 15/06/2017 Steve Zemek

Dumped Queensland State of Origin back-rower Aidan Guerra will see out his NRL career as part of Newcastle's rebuild.

The Knights on Thursday announced they had signed the Sydney Roosters' forward on a three-year deal starting from the 2018 season.

"The Roosters and everyone involved with the club will always be very special to me. I've made some lifelong memories and mates here," Guerra said.

"While it's sad to be leaving the club and the boys, I'm pleased to have my future sorted and my main focus right now is doing the best job I can for the Roosters for the rest of this year."

Guerra's form dip over the past 12 months has ultimately led to his departure from Bondi Junction, freeing up salary-cap space for the Roosters.

He was dropped from Kevin Walters' Maroons side for next week's game two after 10 games for Queensland over the past four years.

He was also relegated last year to NSW Cup during the side's disastrous 2016 season during which they finished 15th.

The 29-year-old started in the second row in the Roosters' 2013 grand-final win over Manly.

A veteran of 140 NRL games across eight seasons, his experience will be highly valued by Newcastle who are attempting to rebuild under coach Nathan Brown after back-to-back wooden spoons.

"Aidan will be a great addition to our young side," CEO Matt Gidley said.

"Aidan is a representative and premiership-winning player who will bring athleticism, experience and leadership to our team from a very successful career to date."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon