You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Gunfire Exchanged In Terror Manhunt In Paris Suburb: REPORTS

The Huffington Post 18/11/2015 Kelly Chen
PARIS © Youtube/trystero19 PARIS

Officers hunting suspects involved in the Paris terror attacks exchanged gunfire during a raid in the Saint-Denis suburb on Wednesday morning, according to reports. Police asked people to stay indoors. 

Armed men were seen fleeing, according to one reporter on the scene. Unconfirmed reports say officers were injured. 

The Associated Press, citing an unnamed police official, said a large police operation that included SWAT teams was underway, linked to Friday's deadly attacks in Paris. "There have been exchanges of gunfire," AP said, adding that French television footage shows ambulances on the scene.

The mayor of Saint-Denis said he heard gunfire beginning about 4:30 A.M. local time.

Shooting stopped 15 minutes later, and began again at 5 a.m. Al Jazeera reports. 

Police confirmed to Reuters that the raid was linked to the manhunt for suspects involved in Friday's Paris attacks, which killed 129 people and wounded more than 350.

French police hunted Tuesday for a second terrorist believed to have escaped after the bomb and gun massacres in Paris, while a U.S. official revealed that the suspected mastermind was part of an Islamic State cell that American intelligence agencies had been tracking for months.

Meanwhile, France and Russia unleashed a new wave of airstrikes against ISIS targets in Syria, while fears of further terror attacks deepened in Paris and beyond. The Eiffel Tower closed to the public just a day after it had reopened and a soccer match between Germany and the Netherlands was canceled due to a bomb threat just 90 minutes before kickoff. 

Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for the Friday the 13th attacks that targeted France's national soccer stadium, a packed concert hall and popular restaurants and cafes in one of Paris' trendiest neighborhoods.

French authorities had previously said that at least eight people were directly involved in the bloodshed Friday: seven who died in the attacks and one who got away and slipped across the border to Belgium. However, there have been gaps in officials' public statements, which have never fully disclosed how many attackers took part in the deadly rampage.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

More from Huffington Post

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon