You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Harry urged to engage media to protect GF

Press AssociationPress Association 8/11/2016 Tony Jones

Britain's Prince Harry is being urged to engage with the media more in order to allow the media to better manage reporting on his private life, and ultimately protect his newly-confirmed girlfriend Meghan Markle's privacy.

The American actress has been subject to a wave of "abuse and harassment," the prince's communications secretary Jason Knauf said on Tuesaday ever since news of the relationship broke last week.

British media lawyer Mark Stephens said in the past members of the Royal Family would hold photocalls, to provide media access before an event, to ensure their privacy was respected.

But he also highlighted how, when the Duchess of Cambridge, faced similar problems when Prince William's girlfriend, the media adopted a "red carpet" rule, usually only photographing her when she was at public, not private, events.

Koo Stark, an ex-girlfriend of the Duke of York, has written an open letter to Markle, uncannily detailing what the Suits star is experiencing and how to cope with the intrusion.

Stark, writing in the Mail on Sunday, described how Harry's girlfriend's career as an actress is in jeopardy as she will soon only be known for her relationship with the royal.

"If Meghan is more passionate about her career than her prince, she must walk away now. There will be a conflict of interests in any interview she gives promoting films or plays in the future - there will inevitably be far more interest in her relationship. She'll never get away from it."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon