You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Hayson scoffs at NRL match-fixing claims

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 6/08/2016 Matt Encarnacion

Controversial gambling figure Eddie Hayson has scoffed at claims he and Foran brothers Kieran and Liam are linked to the latest NRL game being investigated for match-fixing.

NSW Police confirmed on Friday that the round-seven match between Parramatta and Manly is under scrutiny after reports an $A18,000 ($NZ19,204.10) bet was placed on the Eels winning by five points or more minutes before kickoff.

News Corp reports former NRL player Liam, Hayson and another associate in Frank Farrugia won $A41,000 from the match, which was only won by the Eels 22-10 after scoring three tries in the final five minutes.

It is believed the dividend was then re-laid on a winning horse called Brazen, with part of those winnings deposited into Kieran's TAB account by Liam.

Former Kiwis player Kieran, who last week was granted a release from his lucrative four-year playing contract with the Eels to address personal issues, denied any wrongdoing.

"The money he put into my account was from our winnings on Brazen," Kieran told News Corp.

The Eels-Sea Eagles game in April was one of nine appearances made by Kieran in the blue-and-gold this year, however Hayson sneered at suggestions he, or the Forans, had fixed the game.

"This is an absolute wild goose chase that is going nowhere, like the other (match-fixing allegations). It's absolutely laughable (to suggest we fixed a game)," Hayson told News Corp.

Speaking after his side's 10-9 win over Manly on Friday night, Eels coach Brad Arthur denied any knowledge of the latest match-fixing claim to rock the club.

Asked whether he was aware of any irregularities around the match, he said: "No."

The fixture is the third NRL game currently being investigated by the state's Organised Crime Squad, and the second involving the same two sides.

The NRL said on Friday it is continuing to cooperate with authorities over the allegations.

"Our position has not changed ... we will take whatever action is necessary to protect our game," a NRL spokesman said.

"Anyone convicted of match-fixing can expect to be banned for life but, at this stage, no one has been charged and we should avoid jumping to conclusions."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon