You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Heavy damage to houses in Marlborough town

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 15/11/2016

Building inspectors who visited earthquake-hit Ward have reported heavy damage to some houses in the small Marlborough town.

They are due to begin the job of classifying the damage on Wednesday.

Marlborough District Council building control manager Bill East says some buildings have been knocked off their foundations.

"'We have seen some pretty devastating scenes," he said.

Mr East said some people had only just finished repairs after earthquakes in 2013.

In Seddon, 21km to the north, inspectors classified parts of five properties as unusable, while three houses will require minor repairs.

Civil Defence controller Richard McNamara said Monday morning's 7.5-magnitude quake, which was located near the Canterbury town of Hanmer, was the biggest to rock Marlborough in a century.

He said there were still 50 electrical faults and broken power poles around Seddon and Ward, but access for repair teams was an issue.

Six dams had been inspected and none was threatened, but all would require some repairs.

Primary schools in Ward and Seddon are scheduled to reopen on Wednesday.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon