You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Huddersfield shock Leeds in Super League

Press Association logoPress Association 27/04/2017 Ian Laybourn

England soccer manager Gareth Southgate has witnessed one of the biggest shocks of the season as a patched-up Huddersfield bounced back from their humiliating Challenge Cup exit to stun Leeds.

Southgate, who opted for Headingley rather than the Etihad and the Manchester derby as a guest of the Rhinos Foundation, no doubt turned up, like the vast majority of the 13,169 crowd, expecting Leeds to continue their run to the top of the Super League.

But the Giants, forced to include five academy products due to a glut of injuries, dug deep to grind out a famous 31-12 victory, their first win in 10 games to deny their hosts the chance to go top of the table.

Reeling from their shock home defeat by part-timers Swinton only five days earlier, the Huddersfield players wore black arm-bands in memory of Jennifer Davy, wife of Huddersfield chairman Ken Davy who died the day before the game, and that added to the poignancy of the occasion .

Matthew English made his Super League debut for the Giants while Leeds gave a league debut to 17-year-old Jack Walker, fresh from his hat-trick of tries in last Friday's Challenge Cup win over Doncaster.

An early 40-20 kick from skipper Danny Brough enabled the visitors to enjoy all of the early pressure but without making it count and the game appeared to be heading for a predictable outcome when Leeds opened the scoring in their first meaningful attack on 12 minutes.

Instead of opening the floodgates, however, the score stung Huddersfield into action.

Former Newcastle Knights back Jake Mamo touched down for his third try in as many matches for Huddersfield, juggling with the ball after gathering Alex Mellor's grubber kick off the outside of his boot that would have no doubt impressed Southgate.

Leeds captain Danny McGuire thought he had broken a deadlock on 52 minutes when he jinked his way through to the tryline but it was disallowed by video referee Roberts Hicks for obstruction in the build-up.

And it proved a huge turning point as the Giants struck with two tries in five minutes to seize control.

More From Press Association

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon