You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Infamous Trump-dossier author speaks out

Press Association logoPress Association 7/03/2017

The former British intelligence officer behind a dossier of allegations about Donald Trump has broken his silence.

Christopher Steele, who runs London-based Orbis Business Intelligence, said on Tuesday he was returning to work and thanked people for their support.

Speaking outside his firm's offices in Belgravia, he told the Press Association: "I'm really pleased to be back here working again at the Orbis's offices in London today.

"I'm now going to be focusing my efforts on supporting the broader interests of our company here."

A former MI6 agent, Steele was forced into hiding in January when he was named in connection with the report.

The dossier contained politically explosive claims that Russia was in possession of compromising information - known in Moscow as "Kompromat" - on Trump, which could be used to blackmail or exert pressure on the new president.

It detailed allegations that the Trump team had multiple contacts with Russian officials during the election campaign, and that the billionaire tycoon had been cultivated by Moscow over a number of years as a possible presidential candidate, with the aim of encouraging splits within the West.

Among its more lurid allegations was a claim that the Russians held evidence of Trump hiring prostitutes during a visit to Moscow to urinate on a hotel bed which he believed to have previously been slept in by Barack and Michelle Obama.

Trump denounced the document as "fake news", and its veracity had been widely questioned, with Vladimir Putin himself saying it contained "obvious fabrications".

Steele, who read from a prepared statement, did not wish to answer any further questions about the claims.

More From Press Association

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon