You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Injured Santner ends county contract

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 29/05/2016

An injury has forced New Zealand allrounder Mitchell Santner to end his English county stint with Worcester after two games.

Santner suffered a small fracture to his finger while fielding in Worcester's first Twenty20 match of the season against Durham on May 20.

He hasn't played since and a complication with the healing process left him requiring surgery last week. He is to return home to Hamilton to recuperate.

Worcestershire director of cricket Steve Rhodes said Santner was deeply disappointed at missing the rest of the season.

"It is a massive blow because he is a player who is such an exciting talent in all formats of the game - but particularly T20," Rhodes told Sky Sports.

"Mitch is gutted himself. Maybe another time he would consider coming back to us and we would get some benefit out of him in another season."

Santner played one first class game, against Glamorgan, and impressed in his T20 outing, taking 2-29.

The 24-year-old has burst onto the international scene in the last year, playing three Tests and 24 limited overs internationals.

He was a standout figure with his left-arm spin for New Zealand at the World Twenty20 in March, being named in the ICC tournament team.

New Zealand's next fixture is a Test against South Africa in Durban starting on August 19.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon