You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Islamic State claims Orlando shooting in radio bulletin

AFPAFP 13/06/2016


The Islamic State group on Monday claimed responsibility for the Orlando shooting that killed 50 people, saying in a radio bulletin that it was carried out by "one of the soldiers of the caliphate".

"God allowed Omar Mateen, one of the soldiers of the caliphate in America, to carry out an attack entering a crusader gathering in a night club... in Orlando in Florida, killing and wounding more than 100 of them," a bulletin from Al-Bayan radio said.

The jihadist group declared its "caliphate" in Syria and Iraq in 2014.

The IS-linked news agency Amaq said on Sunday that the attack had been "carried out by an Islamic State fighter".

ORLANDO, FL - JUNE 12:  FBI agents investigate near the damaged rear wall of the Pulse Nightclub where Omar Mateen allegedly killed at least 50 people on June 12, 2016 in Orlando, Florida. The mass shooting killed at least 50 people and injuring 53 other Orlando nightclub shooting: At least 49 dead

US media reported that the gunman - identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, an American citizen of Afghan descent - had pledged allegiance to the jihadist group IS.

The FBI has admitted that Mateen - who was born to Afghan parents in New York - had previously been investigated, but cleared, for ties to a US suicide bomber.

The worst mass shooting in US history left 50 people dead, in addition to the shooter, and wounded 53 others.

US President Barack Obama said the FBI was investigating the killings "as an act of terrorism".

Police officials investigate the back of the Pulse nightclub after a shooting involving multiple fatalities at the nightclub in Orlando, Florida. © AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack Police officials investigate the back of the Pulse nightclub after a shooting involving multiple fatalities at the nightclub in Orlando, Florida.
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon