You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Knife-carrying man arrested at Buckingham Palace

USA TODAY logo USA TODAY 24/05/2017 Sean Rossman

A man is detained by police near Buckingham Palace on Wednesday in London. The Changing of the Guard ceremony has been canceled today so police officers can be redeployed following an increase in the national security level after the terrorist attack in Manchester. © Carl Court, Getty Images A man is detained by police near Buckingham Palace on Wednesday in London. The Changing of the Guard ceremony has been canceled today so police officers can be redeployed following an increase in the national security level after the terrorist attack in Manchester. Police in London subdued a knife-wielding man on Wednesday morning outside Buckingham Palace, as Britain remains shaken from a deadly terror bombing.

The Telegraph reported the man was arrested on The Mall, a road leading to the royal residence, just as Queen Elizabeth II passed by in a car.

The Daily Mailciting a Met Police spokesman, said the incident occurred about 10:40 a.m. and resulted in no injuries. Police took possession of the knife. 

"A man had been taken to a central London police station," the spokesman said. "The incident is not believed to be terror-related."

The incident provided a scare to an already shaken Britain, where a suicide bomber killed 22 and injured 59 others at an Ariana Grande concert in the northern city of Manchester on Monday.

In the wake of the bombing, British security forces deployed 1,000 soldiers to key places throughout the country, including Buckingham Palace, to provide added security. The ceremonial changing of the guards outside Buckingham Palace, a London tourist attraction, was canceled Wednesday so officers can be sent elsewhere.

The security effort came after Prime Minister Theresa May upped the country's terror threat level to critical, the highest it's been in a decade.

The new threat level suggests another attack could occur as officials scramble to determine whether the concert bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, acted alone. Four people have been arrested in connection with the blast.

More From USA TODAY

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon