You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Knights quiet on Kenny-Dowall's future

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 20/06/2017

The Sydney Roosters suspended the 29-year-old following the arrest in May and released him from his contract last week. © Ashley Feder/Getty Images The Sydney Roosters suspended the 29-year-old following the arrest in May and released him from his contract last week. Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has refused to comment on Shaun Kenny-Dowall's possible future with the NRL club after the former Rooster was sentenced for cocaine possession.

Kenny-Dowall received a 12-month good behaviour bond and was spared a conviction at Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday after pleading guilty to possessing a small amount of the drug at a Sydney nightclub.

The Sydney Roosters suspended the 29-year-old following the arrest in May and released him from his contract last week.

He had reportedly been negotiating a contract with the Knights before his arrest.

Brown told reporters on Tuesday it would be inappropriate to comment on whether the club had made a decision about Kenny-Dowall's future.

"When something like this occurs it heads to people above me," Brown said.

Knights chairman Brian McGuigan told Fairfax Media last week he had concerns about signing Kenny-Dowall and wanted to avoid players who might bring scandals to the club.

Kenny-Dowall played 224 games with the Bondi-based side, making his debut in 2007 and playing in the Roosters' grand final losses in 2010 and 2013.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon