You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Kuggeleijn stands down from NZ selection

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 2/11/2016

Scott Kuggeleijn of New Zealand © Dan Mullan/Getty Images Scott Kuggeleijn of New Zealand Scott Kuggeleijn's form is good enough to earn selection for the New Zealand A team to play Pakistan, but the Northern Districts cricketer has stood himself down as he awaits re-trial on a rape charge.

Kuggeleijn has shown excellent form during the first two rounds of the Plunket Shield, including a century against Wellington and a six-wicket haul against Canterbury.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said that under normal circumstances, Kuggeleijn would be selected in the New Zealand A squad to play Pakistan.

However, he had asked to be temporarily excused from any potential New Zealand representative playing obligations due to his upcoming trial in Hamilton early next year.

An initial trial in August ended in a hung jury after Kuggeleijn denied sexually violating a woman in Hamilton last year.

A statement from New Zealand Cricket on Wednesday said Kuggeleijn believed any potential selection in a New Zealand team at any level would likely be a "significant distraction" for him and for the game itself.

"New Zealand Cricket agrees with his assessment and concerns, and has granted the request. He is therefore unavailable for selection," the statement said.

The New Zealand A team to play Pakistan at Saxton Oval in Nelson on November 11-13 will be announced on Thursday.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon