You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Man accused of scamming elderly

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 20/02/2017

A 22-year-old man is set to appear in court charged with using a telephone scam to target elderly people.

He faces five charges in Christchurch District Court on Monday, including causing loss by deception, breaching bail and perverting the course of justice.

Detective Sergeant Colin Baillie says officers had been investigating a scam in which offenders were making phone contact with elderly people and claiming to be from power companies and banks.

They then threatened to disconnect the person's power if payment is not made immediately.

He said investigations were still continuing into the scam with officers still to talk to a large number of alleged victims.

He said police would also like to speak to anyone affected by the scam who had yet to contact them.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon