You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Man charged over New Year's Eve bus crash

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 25/05/2016

A Canterbury man has been charged over a horror crash between a tourist bus and car in Arthur's Pass on New Year's Eve.

Thirteen people were hospitalised after a bus carrying 31 Chinese tourists and a car carrying a Swiss family of three collided on December 31.

Police on Wednesday said a 68-year old man had been charged with injuring by unlawful act over the incident.

He will appear in Christchurch District Court on Monday.

Police say the driver of the bus lost control, hitting the car coming from the Otira Gorge, before the larger vehicle tipped on its side and slid across the road.

The bus was only kept from falling off a cliff into the ravine below by a roadside barrier it hit.

Officers said it was "miraculous" the bus was stopped and no one died.

Of the 36 people involved, one member of the Swiss family ended up in critical condition, and several required surgery, including a partial amputation, for fractures and internal injuries.

All those injured have since left the country.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon