You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Manchester Arena bombing victim Eilidh MacLeod, 14, confirmed dead after parents launched desperate search for missing girl

Mirror logo Mirror 25/05/2017 Chris kitching

What to watch next
UP NEXT
UP NEXT
Video provided by ABC News

A 14-year-old girl who was reported missing following the Manchester Arena suicide attack was one of 22 people killed in the explosion.

The parents of bombing victim Eilidh MacLeod confirmed her death in a statement Thursday morning, saying: "Words cannot express how we feel at losing our darling Eilidh."

Credits: PA © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: PA The Isle of Barra schoolgirl was unaccounted for along with friend Laura MacIntyre, 15, in the aftermath of Monday night's terror attack at the end of a concert by pop star Ariana Grande.

Laura was later confirmed to be alive while fears grew for Eilidh as family and friends contacted hospitals and issued desperate appeals to find her.

Credits: MEN MEDIA © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: MEN MEDIA Laura is said to be in a "serious condition" in a Manchester hospital after being one of more than 100 who were injured in the blast in the arena's foyer.

The friends had travelled to Manchester from Castlebay on the Isle of Barra to attend the concert as a treat for Eilidh's birthday, the Daily Record reports.

As Grande was on her final song the girls sent a text message to Eilidh’s mum Marion, who had accompanied them to Manchester, asking her to pick them up. It was the last time she heard from her daughter.

Credits: PA © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: PA As Marion approached the 21,000-seat arena just after the blast, she was faced with scenes of chaos as people fled in terror and emergency services arrived.

The desperate mum searched hotels and train stations after she was unable to find the girls or reach them on their mobile phones.

Eilidh’s dad Roddy and Laura’s mum and dad Margaret and Michael travelled to Manchester to join the search.

Previously, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Police Scotland are supporting the families of the two Barra teens.

At just 14, Eilidh - the 18th victim to be publicly identified - was one of the youngest victims of the attack, along with Saffie Roussos, aged eight, and Nell Jones, also 14.

Greater Manchester Police said on Wednesday they had identified all 22 victims and contacted their families, who were being supported by specially trained officers.

It emerged today that Saffie was held by first responder Paul Reid, who tried to comfort and reassure the dying girl as she cried out for her mum.

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon