You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Mariners shock Reds in 2-1 A-League win

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 6/11/2016 Lee Gagliardi

Central Coast Mariners came from behind and scored two second half goals to register an unlikely 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium on Sunday.

The visitors were largely outplayed in the first half but Connor Pain-inspired second 45 minutes saw them claim victory.

Pain scored with a long-range strike and set up another goal for the visitors.

United's Spanish midfielder Isaias ran the show for the Reds in the first half and he almost broke the deadlock on three minutes with a curling free kick which went just wide.

Ryan Kitto was next to go close for the home side after he was teed up by a cushioning header from Jordan O'Doherty, but the winger's shot from close range was blocked by Jake McGing.

On 20 minutes O'Doherty thought he had opened the scoring when he was released by a delightful through ball from Isaias, but his shot rebounded off the upright.

A minute later and the Mariners struck the post after Roy O'Donovan capitalised on an errant pass from Iacopo La Rocca, and dribbled into the box before hitting the woodwork from a tight angle.

The Reds did eventually take the lead from the penalty spot after Sergi Guardiola was brought down by Storm Roux.

The Spanish striker stepped up and sent Central Coast keeper Paul Izzo the wrong way to make it 1-0 on 27 minutes.

Tarek Elrich had the chance to double Adelaide's lead on the stroke of half time but the fullback squandered his one-on-one chance from 10 metres.

The Mariners emerged from the half break a different side and equalised after the restart.

Pain made the most of some sloppy passing in the Reds' defensive half and set up O'Donovan who looped his shot over the onrushing Eugene Galekovic from just inside the area to level the scores.

After a period of dominance, Central Coast then took the lead courtesy of a 20 metre bullet from Pain who picked out the top corner with his right foot on 57 minutes.

United pressed for an equaliser but failed to carve out any clear cut chances while the Mariners soaked up the Reds pressure and were content to hit on the counter.

Guardiola did have another chance late after he was picked out by Ben Garrucio, but his free header was directed straight at Izzo.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon