You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Mike Bush admits to historic conviction

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 23/02/2017

Police Commissioner Mike Bush has admitted he was convicted for drink driving while off duty in 1983.

Mr Bush on Friday said he was waiving his privacy rights under the Clean Slate Act after being asked by media whether he had any convictions.

He said as a 23-year-old off-duty constable in Auckland, he had been caught and pleaded guilty to drink driving.

He had been fined $250 and disqualified from driving for six months.

"I didn't lose my job at the time because it wasn't until 1991- eight years after it happened - that the then commissioner of police made it clear that subsequent drink-drive convictions for a police officer could place their career in jeopardy," he said in an official blog post.

He had disclosed the conviction to the State Services Commission when applying for the Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner roles, he said.

Mr Bush said it had been "extremely poor judgement" and he was still sorry.

"It is something I deeply regret and have reflected on ever since," he said.

His name and occupation were reported in an Auckland newspaper at the time, he said.

"I have always been prepared to talk about it if asked."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon