You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

More Edgecumbe residents set to go home

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 10/04/2017

© Rex Images More residents from the flood-hit Bay of Plenty town of Edgecumbe are preparing to return to their homes.

Whakatane District Council says people from about 130 properties in north Edgecumbe - from College Road north of Rata Avenue - will be allowed back at 8am on Tuesday.

Wastewaste services, water and power are due to be operating in the area.

On Monday, the police cordon put in place after 1600 people fled the town on Thursday was lifted for the first time.

It meant residents from about 46 properties in the south-eastern section of Edgecumbe started reoccupying their homes.

The council says it aims in the coming days to reopen further areas that have not been subject to flooding.

That would happen as soon as water supplies have been restored and health authorities have given the all clear.

The council says there is potential for more heavy rain this week, but expects to have plenty of warning if further evacuations are needed.

On Saturday, residents vented their anger at public meetings over flood management.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council has announced an independent review into Edgecumbe infrastructure and the circumstances leading to the breach of the floodwall last week.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon