You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

More government help for Edgecumbe

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 5 days ago

An extra $700,000 will be available to further support businesses affected by the flooding in Edgecumbe and the Bay of Plenty, the government has announced.

Minister for Economic Development Minister Simon Bridges and Lead Minister for Edgecumbe Anne Tolley say it's going to be some time before things get back to normal.

"It's important the Government provides the appropriate support to help people get back on their feet. Cabinet has today agreed to a $700,000 package which will assist around 100 local businesses affected by flooding," they said on Tuesday.

"This additional funding will help businesses in Edgecumbe and the Bay of Plenty stay viable while the massive clean-up continues."

About $200,000 will be available for Rural Assistance payments to help rural families with essential living costs, and an extra $250,000 will assist the Rural Support Trust to help farmers and growers to assess crop damage.

An extra $250,000 towards a Disaster Relief Fund will support businesses.

"This funding compliments the Government's existing support. Over 2300 Civil Defence payments have been made to help people with food, clothing and bedding - around $550,000 has been paid to date," Mrs Tolley said.

"Other hardship assistance payments are also available and so far 135 payments have been made at a cost of over $19,000. We've also provided $500,000 of additional Task Force Green funding to employ people to assist the local Councils with the clean-up."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon