You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

More police action after KFC student brawl

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 16/09/2016

   © Getty Images    Eleven students have been referred to the police youth aid section after a mass brawl at a KFC outlet in south Auckland last month.

The referrals are in addition to the five arrests police made in the wake of the fighting at the fast food restaurant in Mangere on August 29.

The violent street brawl involving up to 80 students from at least three schools, during which knives, wood planks and even chairs were used as weapons.

Four teens were arrested after the fight was broken up, including two 17-year-old men - one charged with possession of a knife and possession of an offensive weapon - and two 15-year-olds who have been referred to youth aid. A third 15-year-old was arrested a day after the fight.

Police said the 11 students under the age of 17 that had been referred to youth aid were identified with the help of their schools, witnesses and mobile phone footage.

"There is a small key group whose families will be assisting us in preventing a repeat of this behaviour," said Inspector Uraia Vakaruru.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon