You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Munich shooter 18-year-old German-Iranian

Press AssociationPress Association 22/07/2016

The gunman who shot dead nine people and injured 16 others at a Munich shopping centre was an 18-year-old German-Iranian man, police say.

The teenager, who has not been named, is thought to have lived in the city for more than two years before opening fire on shoppers at the Olympia Einkaufszentrum shopping centre in the south German city on Friday evening.

Any motive behind the attack remains "totally unclear" and police said investigations will be "running on all cylinders" though the night.

Police believe the suspect had acted alone before killing himself and said early reports that there were up to three gunmen were discounted.

Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told a news conference early on Saturday it was too early to label the attack an act of terrorism; earlier police said they had no indication of Islamic extremism.

"The question of terrorism or a rampage is tied to motive, and we don't know the motive," Andrae said.

Andrae said the suspect's body was found about 2 1/2 hours after the attack and was determined to be the shooter based on witness statements and closed circuit television footage of the attack.

The shooter was not previously known to police and there was no evidence of any links to terrorist organisations, Andrae said.

"We can't question the suspect so this is all a little more difficult," he said.

A mobile phone video posted online showed the suspect dressed in black standing on a rooftop parking area of the mall yelling back and forth with the person filming, saying at one point "I'm German" and eventually firing shots.

Andrae said police believe the video is genuine.

The nine victims killed in the massacre included adolescents, while there are children among the 16 people wounded. Police said three of the injured people are in a critical condition.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon