You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Murder charge laid over 2012 toddler death

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 20/12/2016

Police have laid a murder charge against a Filipino woman over the death of a Southland toddler more than four years ago and are now trying to get her extradited from the Philippines.

Two-year-old Bea Daleon died in hospital in April 2012 of a skull fracture and her baby sitter Karen De Luna - who was home alone with Bea at the time of the incident - is believed to have left for the Philippines a few months later.

Invercargill police had laid a murder charge against a 33-year-old Filipino woman in relation to the death, Detective Senior Sergeant Stuart Harvey said in a statement on Tuesday.

"A warrant to arrest has been sought and police will be liaising with the Philippines authorities regarding potential next steps."

Earlier this year, police said they had been working with Interpol as part of their inquiries into Bea's death.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon