You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Name suppression continues for actor

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 15/12/2016

<span style="font-size:13px;">A well-known actor's name will continue to be suppressed after his trial for sex crimes against several of his acting students was abandoned last week.</span> © Getty A well-known actor's name will continue to be suppressed after his trial for sex crimes against several of his acting students was abandoned last week. The Kiwi actor accused of sex crimes against several of his acting students has retained name suppression until next year.

The man's trial over two charges of sexual violation and 10 charges of indecent assault was abandoned last week after two days of evidence.

No new trial date has been set.

At a hearing at the Auckland District Court on Thursday, Judge David Sharp ruled the man's name suppression would be retained until at least February, 2017.

Defence lawyer Ron Mansfield had asked for a ruling on the suppression to be held off until a substantive hearing next year.

The charges the actor faced related to alleged offending between 2010 and 2013 against four female acting students he was teaching in one-on-one classes.

Two of the alleged victims had already given evidence in the trial that started last week, when Justice Sharp told the court the proceedings had to be immediately terminated.

He was unable to disclose why the trial had to be cancelled on Friday, but assured the jury it was nothing they or any of the lawyers involved had done.

The case would be heard by another jury at a later date, he said.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon