You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Nanny missing after London Bridge attack given night off to see friends who fear she was slowed down by her heels

Mirror logo Mirror 5/06/2017 Natalie Evans
© Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc

A nanny missing after the London Bridge atrocity became separated from her friends during the terror attack.

Sara Zelenak , known to call her mum in Brisbane every day, and pal Pri Goncalves had heard the terrorists’ rented Renault van crash and went back a few steps to see what had happened.

As scores of people started running towards them, Pri fled. She has not heard from 21-year-old Sara since.

Sara, an Australian au pair, had been given the night off babysitting duties to spend time with her friends.

Pri, 26, who met Sara just before Easter, fears she may have been slowed down by her high heels, making her a vulnerable target for the jihadists.

She said: “I ran thinking she would be running with me, but I looked back and she wasn’t there.

“When I was close to Borough Market, I saw a guy on top of another guy who was screaming and then I knew something really bad was happening. I think he was stabbing him. So I started calling her but she never picked up the phone.”

Pri added: “I wish I could have grabbed her hand.”

© Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc

Sara's family Down Under is waiting desperately for news and has been in contact with Australian consular officials, 9 News reports.

And friends have launched a frantic social media plea.

It is believed Sara may have dropped her phone while running from the scene of the attack. While at first the mobile rang out, it now goes straight to voicemail.

Australia's Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said there are "very real concerns" for two of the four Australians caught up in the deadly rampage.

Seven people were killed and nearly 50 injured when three terrorists ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed people at random as they roamed through Borough Market. 

Credits: Facebook © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: Facebook

A Facebook post written by a family friend titled "Missing from London Terror Attack" has been shared more than 500 times.

"Dear friends please can I ask you to share this post. My friend's daughter, Sara Zelenak, was last seen on London Bridge and was witness to the terror attacks," the post reads

"She got separated from her friends and has not been seen since. Her phone has rang with no reply and now the battery must have gone.

"She is Australian aged 21 with long blonde hair. She calls her mum daily. It's been over 24 hours with no news from the consulate. We were hoping the third Australian reported would be her, but it's not.

"She is based in London. Please share with as many people as possible especially if you have friends down south. Thank you for your help."

Prime Minister Turnbull confirmed on Monday that four Australians were caught up in the attack. Two have been identified – Candice Hedge, from Brisbane, and Andrew Morrison, from Darwin. Both were hospitalised after the attack.

The remaining two Australians are yet to be identified but it is understood one of them is seriously injured and the other person is unaccounted for.

Some of those killed and some of those who survived with horrific injuries have been named following Saturday night's atrocity.

One of the seven deceased victims was a Canadian tourist who died in her fiance's arms moments after she was mowed down by the terrorists' van.

Another was a French national who was knifed as a terrorist stormed the crowded restaurant where he worked.

The 30-year-old Canadian woman, known to friends as Chrissy, was on a nighttime stroll with her fiance, Tyler Ferguson, as they took in the sights on her first visit to London.

Mr Ferguson was walking just ahead of her when she was hit by the van, and cradled her as she died in his arms, his family said.

Miss Archibald and Mr Ferguson, also from Canada, lived in The Hague, Netherlands, where he worked as an accountant, and got engaged just months ago.

His family said they were "madly in love" and planned to move back to Canada.

She worked at a homeless shelter in Calgary before joining Mr Ferguson in the Netherlands.

Credits: AFP © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: AFP

A 27-year-old French national named Alexander was killed at the Boro Bistro restaurant where he worked, Le Telegramme reported.

He was from Saint-Malo, in north-west France, and had lived in London for two-and-a-half years.

His colleague Vincent Le Berre told the newspaper said the restaurant was packed when one of the terrorists started stabbing staff and customers.

He said: "A customer was killed. I found myself facing the terrorist two metres away. I saw the hatred in his eyes.

"I managed to escape but my friend, Alexander, did not have a chance. He was stabbed in the neck with a knife."

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon