You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Napa re-signs with Sydney Roosters

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 17/01/2017

The Sydney Roosters have fought off a host of rival NRL clubs including Brisbane and North Queensland to re-sign prop Dylan Napa for another two seasons.

The Roosters announced on Tuesday night the 24-year-old Queenslander will remain at the club until at least the end of 2019.

Napa is regarded as one of the NRL's best young forwards in the competition, and the Brisbane born-and-raised red-head was reportedly being pursued by powerhouse Queensland clubs the Broncos and Cowboys, as well as Newcastle.

However, Napa felt loyalty to the Sydney club that had invested in him as a teenager.

"I've been at the Roosters since I was 17," he said in a statement.

"I came here as a kid and this is where I have developed as a football player, but more importantly as a person, so I'm happy with how it's all worked out."

Napa was one of the standouts in a horror 2016 season for the Roosters, becoming one of the competition's most feared hitmen and his form was rewarded with selection in the Prime Minister's XIII.

After being ruled out of making his State of Origin debut last year due to a disciplinary breach in camp, Napa will be a strong chance of Maroons selection in 2017.

"Dylan is a fierce competitor and a highly-valued contributor to our team," Roosters coach Trent Robinson said.

The signing is a huge boost for the Roosters after fellow prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves only two months ago signed a three-year contract extension.

Napa made his NRL debut with the Roosters in 2013 and has gone on to make 81 NRL appearances.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon