You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

No rush for transfer window: ARLC chairman

NZN 26/04/2017 Darren Walton

ARLC chairman John Grant says there is too much "great theatre" in player contract sagas for the NRL to rush into introducing a transfer window.

Endless speculation around the futures of some of the game's biggest stars has again dominated the headlines in 2017, with a raft of coaches including Wayne Bennett, Shane Flanagan and newly appointed Wests Tigers mentor Ivan Cleary complaining about the contracting chaos.

Cleary in particular has endured constant stress around the futures of the Tigers' so-called big four since the minute he replaced Jason Taylor earlier this month.

Parramatta-bound five-eighth Mitchell Moses has asked for a mid-season release, while Flanagan watched on frustrated as Cronulla's backline ace Jack Bird weighed up his options before deciding on a multimillion-dollar move to Brisbane at the end of the year.

More than a distraction, ongoing contract talk can prove most unsettling for players and clubs.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has flagged the possibility of introducing an AFL-style transfer window, but Grant appears in no rush.

"Todd's on record as saying that we'll look at a trade window at the end of the year," Grant said on Wednesday.

"We're not going to move quickly on things, as everyone's been aware for five and a half years.

"There's two schools of thought on this. One school of thought is that it's a bad look for the game. The other school of thought is that it's great theatre.

"So I'm not about to get in the middle of that.

"We'll look at a trade window because it's the right thing to do and we'll see where that lands us."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon