You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

No threats identified to schools evacuated

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 2/12/2016

Police have confirmed the calls that triggered evacuations of schools around the country on Thursday came from overseas and there were no threats.

"We have not established any actual threat to the schools who received calls yesterday," police said on Friday.

Police are working with international partners "as the call trail lead police to an overseas origin".

Schools will respond according to their individual circumstances and the information available to them, police say, adding they're working with schools and the Ministry of Education.

Schools affected on Thursday included Tahatai Coast School in Tauranga, Berkley Normal Middle School in Hamilton, Papakura High School in Auckland and Dunedin's Logan Park High School.

Police said on Thursday it appeared the calls were similar to a series that cleared schools earlier in the year, which had come from overseas.

In February, 27 schools received concerning automated phone calls, although no actual threat was ever established.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon