You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

NZR says it's monitoring player court case

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 12/10/2016

New Zealand Rugby (NZR) is facing more off-field dramas with reports that a Mid Canterbury representative player is facing an attempted rape charge.

The incident is understood to have happened a day after Mid Canterbury played East Coast in Ruatoria on October 1.

Chief executive Steve Tew says NZR is aware of an allegation involving a player from Mid Canterbury and has been providing support to the union in relation to the matter.

"A court suppression order is in place and we are not able to comment further at this stage," he said in a statement.

"However, New Zealand Rugby will continue to monitor this situation closely."

Police would not comment on the case, saying only that a man was arrested on October 2. He was charged with assault with intent to commit rape and would appear in Gisborne District Court on October 31.

NZR has had to deal with several controversial incidents in recent weeks, beginning with the Chiefs' stripper saga.

There was then the outcry over Wellington player Losi Filipo's discharge without conviction for assaulting four people, including two women.

Last week, All Blacks halfback Aaron Smith was banned for one match after revelations of a tryst with a woman in a disabled bathroom at Christchurch Airport in September.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon