You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Oktoberfest officials support backpack ban

dpadpa 27/07/2016

A group of Oktoberfest tent owners say they support a ban on backpacks to ensure safety at this year's beer festival in Munich.

A group of Oktoberfest tent owners say they support a ban on backpacks to ensure safety at this year's beer festival in Munich.

The city council decided to re-evaluate security measures at the annual Bavarian festival, which is set to begin on September 17, after four attacks rocked Germany in the last week.

Munich Mayor Dieter Reiter told local broadcaster BR the city would consider whether rucksack bans should be put in place.

Toni Roiderer, a spokesman for the Oktoberfest tent owners, said Munich police were well-equipped to handle the security challenges at this year's event but thinks backpacks should be kept out.

"The Oktoberfest is not so expensive that people need to bring a backpack to carry their money," Roiderer said.

Rucksacks just get in the way, said Toni Winklhofer from the Festzelt Tradition tent.

Banning backpacks "wouldn't be a big problem," said Ludwig Hagn, another owner.

On Friday, a Syrian attacker claiming allegiance to Islamic State set off a bomb in the Bavarian city of Ansbach, killing himself and injuring 15 others with explosives in a backpack.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon