You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Petrol sniffing likely in Otara house fire

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 13/06/2017

It's likely those badly burnt in a south Auckland house fire were sniffing petrol and or LPG before a lit cigarette sparked an explosion, fire investigators say.

Four people, including two females, fled the house in Lappington Road, Otara, home with their clothes in flames on Tuesday afternoon.

One person is critically injured and another has moderate injuries. The two others were treated for smoke inhalation, police say.

The vapours were still on their clothes from petrol and possibly LPG when they went upstairs and lit a cigarette, specialist fire investigator Terry Jordan told NZ Newswire on Wednesday.

The fire was contained to a bedroom of the Housing New Zealand house.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon