You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Police appeal rugby player's discharge without conviction

Radio New Zealand logo Radio New Zealand 29/09/2016
Losi Filipo © Getty Images Losi Filipo

Police have filed an appeal against rugby player Losi Filipo's discharge without conviction.

Filipo, who was 17 at the time, had been charged with assaulting two men and two women in central Wellington last October.

In a statement, Crown Law said the Solicitor-General has reviewed the case and given the police permission to appeal.

It said that application has now been filed in the High Court in Wellington.

Filipo's contract with Wellington Rugby was terminated on Tuesday.

The decision to discharge Mr Filipo without conviction, and Wellington Rugby's decision to support him after the attack, have led to accusations that he escaped conviction because of his promising rugby career.

Mr Filipo said in statement earlier this week that he had made a huge mistake and had apologised for his actions.

Apology from rugby club

Earlier today, the Wellington Lions rugby club apologised to the victims of the attack.

The team's coach, Earl Va'a, said it was not a representation of what the side stood for.

"I would like to personally express my disappointment at the actions of the player involved," Va'a said.

"They were quite simply unacceptable, violence towards anyone, especially women, cannot be tolerated in our society," he said.

Filipo said in a statement earlier this week that he had made a huge mistake and had apologised for his actions.

More From Radio New Zealand

Radio New Zealand
Radio New Zealand
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon