You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Prefab industry ready to roll

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 13/07/2016

The prefab industry is keen to get cracking on the 140 homes the government is going to build.

Social Housing Minister Paula Bennett gave the go ahead for the plan on Tuesday, saying three sites had been chosen in South Auckland for emergency housing prefabs.

"The off-site industry is well and truly ready for this type of announcement," PrefabNZ said on Wednesday.

"We just need this project's scope and master plan, along with co-ordinated infrastructure delivery and building consent cohesion, to enable rapid housing delivery."

PrefabNZ represents companies that build houses from components manufactured off site.

"It's like giant Lego, it's not a new concept," said chief executive Pamela Bell.

"The first colonial houses arrived in the country in pre-cut pieces 200 years ago."

Ms Bell says modern, quality dwellings using click together technology can be constructed in less than a week.

Ms Bennett expects work to start in December and says families could start moving in during autumn next year.

Her officials are in the process of negotiating leases for the sites and selecting a provider.

The first batch of houses will be used for those who need them most but they'll also be used to re-house existing tenants who need to be moved because of redevelopment.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon