You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Prison guards plead not guilty

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 15/06/2017

Three prison guards facing charges over an alleged assault on an inmate at Paremoremo's Auckland Prison have pleaded not guilty.

Appearing at the North Shore District Court on Friday, all three men were granted name suppression until another hearing at the end of the month.

The trio entered not guilty pleas to one charge each and elected to face trial by jury.

One of the men, 31, faces a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice by turning a camera away while officers were using "significant force" to regain control of prisoners, according to his charge sheet.

The other two men, 26 and 34, are charged with assault with intent to injure and causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard, respectively, against one prisoner.

The charges result from an incident in the maximum security prison on May 20, when a guard was stabbed a number of times, Inspector Sunny Patel said this week.

"Police have also been investigating the force used by Corrections officers following the attack... due to the injuries received by the prisoners," he said.

The three guards had since been suspended.

The Corrections inspectorate is also investigating.

The three prisoners involved in the incident, two aged 22 and one aged 24, have been jointly charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and aggravated assault.

They appeared in court last week.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon