You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Purse bid called for Parker bout with Fury

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 25/01/2017
Joseph Parker © Getty Joseph Parker

Joseph Parker's first defence of his world heavyweight title is likely to be against Briton Hughie Fury, with their management teams to bid for promotional control.

The World Boxing Organisation has scheduled a purse bid for February 1 in Puerto Rico which wiil determine the prizemoney at stake, along with the fight date and venue.

The WBO says the minimum bid will be $US1 million ($NZ1.38 million), with unbeaten Parker entitled to 60 per cent of it as champion.

A deal can be privately made ahead of the purse bid.

Parker's promoters Duco Events are reportedly keen to host the fight in Auckland in April.

Fury's manager, Frank Warren, told journalists he is confident of staging the fight in Manchester.

Parker, 25, beat previously unbeaten Mexican Andy Ruiz by majority decision in a fight for the vacant belt in Auckland in December.

His record of 22 wins, 18 by knockout, is similar to Fury's statistics. The 22-year-old has won all 20 of his fights, with half of them by knockout.

The cousin of former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, who vacated the WBO and WBA titles in October, Hughie Fury hasn't fought since April.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon