You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld student dies after eating calamari

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 19/07/2016 Melissa Grant

A Gold Coast student who died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to calamari he ate at school is being remembered as a respected and talented teenager who loved sport.

Helensvale State High School student Breyton Horomona, 15, had his life support switched off on Saturday, five days after the allergic reaction put him in an induced coma.

"Our entire Helensvale State High School community is deeply shocked and saddened that Breyton lost his fight for life," principal Mark Blackshaw said in a statement.

"He will be remembered by his classmates and teachers as a respectful and talented young man who had a close group of friends and a love of sport, especially basketball."

Breyton had no record of any allergies and his family were unaware he was allergic to any type of food, Mr Blackshaw said.

Breyton was eating some of the calamari, which he'd cooked in a home economics class, during his lunch break on Monday last week before telling friends "I think I'm allergic to this", according to News Corp Australia.

An ambulance was called after the teen told a staff member he was feeling unwell.

He reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest and was taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital.

Workplace Health and Safety has begun an investigation into Breyton's death.

His classmates are being offered counselling as they come to terms with his death.

The Gold Coast basketball community and local rugby league clubs have paid tribute to the teen on social media.

Tributes are also flowing on a Go Fund Me page which has raised more than $30,000 for the Horomona family as they prepare to farewell Breyton.

A funeral for the teen will be held on Friday.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon