You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Report into building collapse finished

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 16/12/2016

<span style="font-size:13px;">The families of 115 people killed when Christchurch's CTV building collapsed in 2011 will have to wait until next year to see if police lay charges.</span> © Reuters The families of 115 people killed when Christchurch's CTV building collapsed in 2011 will have to wait until next year to see if police lay charges. Police have finished a report into the collapse of Christchurch's CTV building but families of the 115 killed will have to wait until 2017 to see if charges are laid.

The six-storey, 25-year-old building crumpled and caught fire within seconds of a 6.3 magnitude quake striking in February 2011.

Sixty-five foreign students were among those killed.

Subsequent investigations revealed the building was not built to standards of the time and in 2014 police began looking at the possibility of criminal charges.

Investigators announced on Friday they had now handed their report to the Christchurch Crown Solicitor for review.

However, they said the report still needed the inclusion of further engineering commentary but this had been delayed because relevant experts had instead been busy with November's Kaikoura earthquake.

"The review of the file by the Christchurch Crown Solicitor will be progressed once this further commentary is received," Detective Superintendent Peter Read said.

"I am very mindful of the length of time this process is taking and the effect this is having on the families of the CTV victims."

He said police could not say when they would make a decision on whether to prosecute other than that it would be next year.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon