You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Residential building consents dip in March

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 28/04/2017 Rebecca Howard

New Zealand residential building consents dipped in March after a strong rise in February.

Seasonally adjusted dwelling consents fell 1.8 per cent to 2651 in March after rising a revised 17 per cent in February, Statistics New Zealand said.

New housing permits fell a seasonally adjusted 5.2 per cent to 1758.

On an actual basis, annual residential permits rose 10 per cent to 30,626 in the year ended March 31.

Of that total, housing consents rose 8.7 per cent to 21,434, apartments were up 5.3 per cent to 2,671 and retirement village units eased 0.7 per cent to 1915.

"Residential dwelling consent issuance paused for breath in March, with a 1.8 per cent decline in the number of consents issued over the month. But after a large 17 per cent jump last month, some pull back was to be expected, and we are still left with a positive outlook for building over the coming year," said Westpac Bank senior economist Satish Ranchhod.

New Zealand's central bank has long signalled that an overheated housing market is a key risk to financial stability and that much of the solution lies in supply, in particular in the nation's largest city of Auckland.

The cost and lack of housing is also shaping up to be a key issue ahead of the September election.

Friday's figures show 942 new consents worth $358 million were issued in Auckland in March, compared to 800 permits worth $342m in February. Consents in Canterbury ticked up to 491 worth $192m.

"Homebuilding in the (Canterbury) region has pulled back now that the residential rebuild is past its peak, but it does appear to be finding a base at firm levels," said Mr Ranchhod.

Including alterations, the value of building work consented in the March month was a record $2 billion, Stats NZ said.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon