You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Robinson refuses to blame NRL bunker

NZN 8/07/2016 Steve Zemek

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has refused to blame a controversial call against his side by the NRL bunker for their 22-18 NRL loss to Parramatta on Friday night.

With the game in the balance and his side attacking the Eels line in the dying seconds, Parramatta winger Clint Gutherson appeared to knock on as the Roosters put it through the hands.

After the ball went to ground, Joseph Manu picked it up but was bundled into touch thanks to some desperate defence by Corey Norman.

Replays suggested the ball had glanced off Gutherson's fingertips in the lead up but the bunker ruled there was insufficient evidence to suggest Gutherson had made contact.

The Eels were awarded possession at a crucial point in the game, denying Roosters one final set.

Robinson has had frequent run-ins with the referees and officials this year and was fined $40,000 for his ANZAC Day spray and he last week blasted the bunker for awarding Josh Jackson a go-ahead try in their loss to Canterbury.

However, Robinson bit his tongue in his post-match press conference after the loss against the Eels.

"I saw what I saw," Robinson said.

"We've only got the one screen (in the coach's box). That was the decision, they've got better vision than us. So we'll see what they say."

Gutherson himself later denied he had made contact with the ball.

"I didn't touch that one. It was just good defence from Norms to get over there and stop it," Gutherson said.

"They had to get it right and it took them a while to get it right. But in the end that's what the bunker's there for."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon