You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Rolf Harris says 'prison system is killing him and believes he'll be DEAD within a year'

Mirror logo Mirror 19/02/2017

Rolf Harris. © Rex Images Rolf Harris. Jailed Rolf Harris claims the prison system is 'killing him' and believes he will be dead within a year, it has emerged.

The disgraced entertainer's ill health is believed to have worsened in recent weeks.

And the veteran star has reportedly complained to fellow inmates that life behind bars is 'slowly killing him', according to the Daily Star Sunday.

Harris is said to have become increasingly withdrawn after learning he is to face a retrial over three sex offence charges and face one new count.

Last week a jury found the 86-year-old Australian not guilty of three sex crimes following a trial at London's Southwark Crown Court.

But the jury failed to reach verdicts on another four charges.

If found guilty, Harris could face another six years in jail which the artist believes would be a “death sentence”, the newspaper reported.

A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had decided to seek a retrial following "careful consideration" after the jury was discharged last week.

He added: "This decision was taken after consideration of all the matters set out in our legal guidance on seeking retrials when a jury has failed to agree on a verdict.

"The CPS reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Rolf Harris remain active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings."

Harris showed no emotion last week as the jury at his latest trial cleared him of groping a blind woman, a 12-year-old autograph hunter and a BBC worker in 2002.

They failed to reach verdicts on charges relating to four other alleged victims.

Harris did not give evidence, but his barrister said they were “false victims” who were hunting for compensation from his £11m fortune.

He was cleared of telling a 12-year-old autograph hunter “let’s give you a little cuddle” before groping her as her mother stood nearby outside Radio Victory in Portsmouth in 1977.

The Australian was also cleared of “slobbering” over a blind woman at Moorfields Eye Hospital in the 1970s.

Jurors found him not guilty of pinning a BBC worker against a wall and grabbing her breasts at a party at BBC Television Centre in 2002.

The panel took just under a week to come to its verdicts.

Harris is still in jail after a 2014 trial saw him convicted of 12 sex offences against four female victims, one as young as seven or eight.

His defence team claimed the jury in the first trial “got it wrong” and that the media coverage “without doubt made him vulnerable to people making accusations against him”.

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon