You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Shellfish warning for north of Auckland

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 3/06/2016
<p>Shellfish</p> © Corbis


Anyone eating shellfish taken from Cudlip Point to Toroa Point, north of Auckland, may become ill.

The public health warning issued by the Ministry for Primary Industries on Friday advises people not to collect or consume shellfish in this area because tests have shown paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins above safe levels.

In severe cases the toxin can cause paralysis and respiratory failure but people are most likely to present with numbness and a tingling around the mouth, face, and hands and feet.

The may have difficulty swallowing or breathing. Other symptoms include dizziness, headaches, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon