You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Shot man wasn't armed: girlfriend

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 12/07/2016

There are conflicting reports over whether a man shot and killed by police during a raid in Hamilton was armed or not.

The 36-year-old, named by media as Nick Marshall, died after being shot in a light industrial part of the suburb of Frankton on Tuesday night.

Police say Mr Marshall's shooting was unavoidable and he presented a firearm at them. A pump-action shotgun and a live cartridge were found afterwards.

However, his girlfriend Kendyl Eadie says Mr Marshall wasn't armed or threatening and police had burst in on them while they were having dinner.

She was in shock and couldn't believe police, supposed to serve and protect, were "cold blooded killers", she wrote in a Facebook post.

The Armed Offenders Squad and criminal investigation branch raided the industrial property in the city as part of an investigation into the supply of drugs and firearms.

Police earlier said when they entered the building in Frankton they announced they were armed, but were confronted by the man who picked up a long-barrelled gun.

Despite being warned several times, he continued to point the gun at officers in close proximity and was shot several times.

Officers attempted first aid but he died at the scene, police said.

Assistant Commissioner Allan Boreham told reporters it appeared more than one officer had fired at the armed man.

A post-mortem examination would determine how many times he was shot.

"It is always unfortunate when we have to use deadly force that has been used in this case," he said.

Mr Boreham would not confirm if drugs or guns had been found at the property.

However, he said the raid was part of a "fairly significant" operation that had been planned thoroughly and he had confidence officers on the scene followed correct procedure.

Police believe there are possible gang connections to the property.

An investigation into the incident has begun and the Independent Police Conduct Authority has been notified.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon