You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Smoke forces Hawke's Bay school inside

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 28/11/2016

Pupils at Central Hawke's Bay College are being kept indoors due to the threat of toxic smoke from a fire engulfing an old building at Waipukurau Hospital.

Twelve fire appliances were called to the scene just after 1pm and were still battling the blaze, but it's thought to be contained.

The two-storey building ablaze is the hospital's old nurses quarters, but has been abandoned for 16 years.

Students and staff at the high school are being kept inside as a precaution.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon