You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

'So I just got rid of her': Reddy

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 1/05/2016
Mubarak Yusef and her three-year-old daughter Juwairiyah Kalim were murdered. © NZ Police Mubarak Yusef and her three-year-old daughter Juwairiyah Kalim were murdered.

A jury has seen the moment murder-accused Kamal Reddy told an undercover police officer he strangled his partner and smothered her daughter.

Reddy, 42, is standing trial accused of murdering Mubarak Yusuf and her three-year-old child, Juwairiyah "Jojo" Kalim, in late 2006.

The Crown says Reddy unwittingly told undercover police officers in October 2014 he had strangled 24-year-old Ms Yusuf - also known as Pakeeza Faizal - and smothered the girl before taking police to their bodies under the Takapuna Landing Bridge.

It can now be reported that on Friday, the jury in the High Court at Auckland was played a recording of the alleged confession given to officers near the end of their six-month undercover operation.

The details of the police sting are suppressed, but it can be reported the plan involved a "series of simulated criminal scenarios" in which the accused joined undercover officers in order to gain his trust.

During the meeting with the officer in 2014, Reddy was repeatedly asked if he had anything to disclose, unaware he was being taped.

Eventually he described to the officer how, after an argument, he had come up behind a sleeping Ms Yusuf with an iron and then strangled her with its electric cord.

"So I just got rid of her," he said.

"She's gone and then after I went for the daughter," he said, saying he then used a pillow to smother Jojo.

Asked how he knew Ms Yusuf was dead, Mr Reddy described that her arms and legs had gone "tight".

Ms Yusuf had asked him to leave before the attack, he said.

"She said go home from my life, go from here. I don't want to see you any more," he said.

Reddy then detailed how he threw away the pillow case, iron and and other evidence and then drove the pair's bodies to the Bombay Hills, where he searched for a spot to bury them.

Later he would bury them in Takapuna, he told the officer.

"I put, I dig it up, big dig, took me almost whole night to dig it up 'cause no cameras there, no security there."

But the defence says Reddy was pressured into making a false confession by undercover police officers who he trusted.

He only knew the location of the bodies because he had suggested the spot to the real killer, lawyer Jonathan Krebs said.

Although police believe the victims were killed in their Howick home in late 2006 or early 2007, they were not reported missing until 2013 by Ms Yusuf's mother,

The trial continues.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon