You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Some migrants returning to Calais camp

dpadpa 26/10/2016

French authorities say they are still finding migrants in Calais shelters who do not want to leave.

Dozens of migrants have spilled back into the Jungle camp in Calais despite French officials declaring the evacuation operation is over.

Fabienne Buccio, the head of the Pas-de-Calais region, told reporters near the camp that 68 minors had been given shelter during the night, as the last buses left the registration centre.

The centre's doors were shut on Thursday morning and a few dozen migrants stood outside, before returning to the Jungle where demolition crews continued tearing down makeshift sheds.

Buccio said that all of the migrants who were in the Jungle at the start of the operation had been offered a chance to leave by bus for one of the accommodation centres around France where they could apply for asylum.

Since the start of the government operation, the Interior Ministry said 5596 people had been taken in, either in centres around the country or in provisional shelters.

One migrant, who said he was 16 and from Sudan, told DPA that he had been living in the Jungle for four months and still wanted to go to Britain.

Buccio said that police would remain on site to ensure that another camp did not reappear.

She said that no other camps had been set up around Calais, and that increased security around the Eurotunnel and the port had made the city less appealing to migrants hoping to cross the English Channel.

Demolition crews were clearing the remaining tents and shelters from the area, which were damaged in fires reportedly set by departing migrants.

Several children were seen being escorted away by police after they were allegedly stopped for not being registered, aid workers said.

It's unclear whether the children were arrested, but volunteers said they had not seen them since.

There are between 100 and 200 children left in the camp, Help Refugees estimated, adding many who remained were thought to be eligible for transfer to the UK under the so-called Dubs amendment.

Nico Stevens from the charity told the Press Association the youngsters who were left had been told by officers they had to register by 2pm local time to avoid arrest.

She said: "It's all very, very distressing - there's no information being given at all and these are the most vulnerable children in the camp who should have taken first priority when the camp was being evicted at the beginning of the week."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon