You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Spurs get out of jail in FA Cup win

Press Association logoPress Association 28/01/2017

Son Heung-min scored in the sixth minute of stoppage time as Tottenham completed an incredible 4-3 comeback victory against a spirited Wycombe in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

The League Two team led 2-0 at the interval, courtesy of a double by captain Paul Hayes, before leading 3-2 with only six minutes of normal time remaining.

Garry Thompson grabbed the visitors' third after Son and substitute Vincent Janssen, from the spot, had got Spurs level.

But substitute Dele Alli struck in the 89th minute to haul Spurs level again before Son scored with virtually the final kick of the game at White Hart Lane.

Wycombe, 70 league places below Spurs, showed no signs of being intimidated by their more illustrious opponents indeed they signalled their intent from the very first exchanges, and could have opened the scoring inside 60 seconds.

A mix-up on Tottenham's left allowed Wanderers full-back Sido Jombati to whip an exquisite cross into their box and ready to meet it was the daunting figure of Adebayo Akinfenwa - the 16-stone striker nicknamed 'The Beast' - whose header fell into the path of Hayes.

It should have come as a warning for a Tottenham but acted only as encouragement for the visitors.

Hayes' half-volley from outside the box was tipped round the post by a diving Michel Vorm, Josh Onomah did not deal with the resulting corner and Hayes rifled it home to open the scoring.

Akinfenwa, another specialist of the lower leagues and a constant menace to the home defence, won the ball inside the Spurs' half before his neat pass fell into the path of Sam Wood.

Cameron Carter-Vickers hauled him down in the area and referee Roger East had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Hayes made no mistake.

Tottenham spent the first 15 minutes of the second half struggling to create any clear-cut opportunities, but with an hour on the clock they roared back to life.

First, Son hauled one back when his deflected effort beat Wycombe goalkeeper Jamal Blackman at his near post.

Then, with Alli and Mousa Dembele both introduced, Kevin Wimmer - another second-half replacement - was blocked by Aaron Pierre in the area. Referee East awarded a penalty, which Janssen duly converted.

After two goals in four minutes, a third seemed inevitable, but Spurs were forced to play the remaining 20 minutes with 10 men after Kieran Trippier landed awkwardly and could not continue.

It acted as a leveller, and Wycombe found themselves back in the lead after Thompson converted Myles Weston's perfect cross after 84 minutes.

The Chairboys looked on course to celebrate a famous victory only for Alli to spoil their party when he side-footed past Blackman before Son's effort in the 96th minute sealed a remarkable fightback.

More From Press Association

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon